So ran into a bit of an issue when we first used the Butler. While pulling the yarn it would frequently slip over the top of the ball and wrap around the post, stopping the rotation of the Butler. You would then have to unwrap it by hand…very frustrating.
At first I thought it was because my center post was not spinning. But after looking at why the yarn stopped rotating (and accessing some of my previous engineering experience) I realized that the angles on the yarn being pulled off the ball were the cause of the yarn getting stuck.
So my solution is to stop the yarn from slipping over the top, or bottom, of the ball by adding a light tension pulling the yarn to the center of the ball circumference. I achieved this by adding a brass “pigtail” that the yarn is fed through. It is set at a height that should work for most all balls.
So far so good, initial retesting has gone very well!
For prototype purposes I added a platform to set the Butler on. This allows me to test both Butler designs without having to re-cut the parts. Once all the testing is done I will integrate it into the base design.
I have spent a couple of weeks prototyping and ordering sample parts for a Hornshaw Wood Works “Yarn Butler”. These are the two prototypes. I am leaning toward the one in front with the larger post for production. I still have to do some hardcore testing…which means my wife will be using it for a while to see how it works. But I am pretty excited!
Need some feedback,
I thought everyone might like to see my prototype “DIY” swift. The intent is to cut this swift, do the initial rough sanding and sub-assembly. Then sell it for a discounted price. Say around, $85. (Final pricing TBD)
The customer would do the finish sanding and seal the swift with lacquer or polyurethane or the finish of their choice. And then do the final assembly … kind of like a kit. The swift would be non-returnable after finish.
These swifts would only be offered in Cherry or African Sapele. (And maybe Oak, still uncertain about this)
What do you think of the idea of finishing the swift yourself to get a discounted price?
Also do you have any thoughts of the shape of the arms? Like, dislike?
Please visit my Ravelry group to join in on the conversation;
Setting up the tree always seem to involve some reminiscing about origins of ornaments. (My fav part of tree trimming)
This is an ornament I made about ten years ago inlaying Maple into Jatoba. One of my first projects when I started back into woodworking.
This gives me a lot of joy during the season.
Decided to work up a prototype Mitten Blocker. They are made out of the same wonderful material as my Sock Blockers. And I am using a stainless steel ball chain so the thumb can articulate for almost any design.
I am thinking about offering them at the “Knittin’ in the Mitten” knitting retreat this coming weekend. We will see how my “testers” like them!
I happened to stop by and see a friend of mine today and she was re-skeining some yarn using one of my original swifts. She let me take a quick video to show the basic operation. A few people have asked about it recently. I plan on updating my YouTube videos in the near future, but in the meantime this should give you an idea of how it works. Enjoy!
(Please don’t mind the boxes in the background. She hosts the High Fiber Diet Podcast and hosts a knitting retreat each fall here in West Michigan. And those are the boxes of stuff that will be going with her to the retreat this year…in just a couple of weeks! Check out here Ravelry group for more info on the “Knittin’ in the Mitten” retreat.) (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/the-high-fiber-diet-podcast)
The stand is my original design. For these I used Sapele with a Laquer finish. They can sit on a table or be hung on a wall. Either way they display your plates or bowls proudly. And you can’t put a price on your mom’s happiness!